Wednesday, July 12, 2017

GoSun Solar Oven Review



The GoSun Solar oven is one of my favorite luxuries in van life. When I first became homeless and lived in my tiny Civic I craved fresh bread and cookies. I tried all the DIY solar devices and nothing was efficient enough to cook bread or bring food up to safe temperatures.
So you can imagine when I finally had some spending cash that a solar oven was on my must have list. The GoSun is awkwardly shaped, yes, but who said muffins need to be in the shape of a muffin? They are delicious either way and having fresh baked food that cooks in 30 minutes is nothing short of a miracle in this lifestyle.



I cannot praise the GoSun enough. It is thoughtfully designed and gets up to temp within 15-20 minutes. The thermal vacuum tube is really what gives this oven it's magic. It can get up to 600 degrees and holds heat for hours when sealed. It only takes an hour for some perfectly cooked teriyaki chicken. The oven will even continue to work as clouds roll by.

On a sunny day it takes about 30 minutes for blueberry muffins. On a cloudy day it's about an hour and on an overcast day it can take up to 4 hours... which may seem dismal, but compare that to any other oven on the market and you'll know most can't even cook on overcast days.

This thing is portable, durable, and easy to clean up (as long as you clean shortly after you cook). Do not wait a day to clean this, or it's a pain in the ass.

When I have another chance for extra cash I intend to invest in a second unit. This one is fantastic, but it only serves 2 meals. I'd love to be able to cook more for a crowd at a time.

All in all though, it's one of my favorite tools. I don't need propane or electricity to have a good hot meal, and that is super satisfying.


No comments:

Post a Comment